Purpose


A blog to share about Adrenal insufficiency, Addison's Disease, Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, Music, Inspiration, Scrapbooking and other elements viewed through the lens of my life. I'm hoping that others who are traveling this journey may find some commonality, and maybe some information and inspiration.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Evaluation #1

Yesterday was my grandson's first evaluation. It lasted about an hour and a half to two hours, and the doctor's conclusion is ADHD and sensory integration disorder. He has a further evaluation coming up, so we'll see what they say.

Personally, I don't see the ADHD. This is not a hyperactive child. At all. I've taught quite a few hyperactive children, and maybe they were at one extreme or something, but my grandson mostly just wants to stay at home on the computer. He doesn't move fast. I would put him on the hypoactive end of the spectrum.

The sensory integration diagnosis is no surprise at all. He has noise and light sensitivities for sure.

Yesterday was a difficult day for many of us in the family. Too much going on, surprise (to me)decisions made, plans not working out.

Oh, and in the midst of it I realized that a certain little boy's mom is probably an Aspie too. Quite a few signs, but when she was growing up, this wasn't even on the radar. Never a 'normal' child. Obsessed with her books, still a huge fantasy novel reader. Physically a little out of sync, difficulty making friends, naively trusting people when she got older. Averting eyes frequently during conversations. And more.

I certainly do wish that this had been more widely known decades ago.

No comments: